Food Prep: 5 Slow Cooker Recipes you need in your life.19 October 2016
I love my slow cooker! I spent about R800 on it and I have used it every week to prep myself and Chris's lunch for the week.
What I love about it is that prep time is minimal so I end up saving a lot of time and effort by just chucking that weeks protein of choice and veg into it and letting it do its thing while I do life.
Here are 5 slow cooker recipes that I love and all of them are Whole 30 compliant!
Slow Cooker Lemon Thyme Chicken from www.thenaturalnurturer.com
- 1 whole chicken (3-4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 5 springs of fresh thyme OR 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 3-5 whole cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Remove giblets from the chicken and rinse under cool water. Place in slow cooker.
- Pour lemon juice over whole chicken and sprinkle with sea salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Place garlic cloves and bay leaves in the slow cooker around the chicken.
- Cover slow cooker and cook the chicken on low for 9-10 hours OR high for 4-5 hours.
- Once the chicken is done cooking, the meat should easily come off the bone and you can enjoy it immediately or store in fridge for up to 4 days.
Slow Cooker Paleo Pulled Pork from www.thehomemadehaus.com
- 1 (4-5 pound) pork butt roast
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- In a small bowl, mix together the chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and coriander. Rub all of the spice mix over the pork butt roast.
- Add the sliced onions to the bottom of a slow cooker. Place the spice-rubbed pork on top.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Use a couple forks to shred the meat. Give everything in the slow cooker a good stir so the spices, juices, meat and onions are thoroughly mixed together.
For breakfast, serve pulled pork with toppings like avocados, a fried egg, a squeeze of lime, salsa or hot sauce.
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Soup Recipe for www.paleoleap.com
- 1.36 kg. sweet potatoes, roughly chopped;
- 1 onion, chopped;
- 2 stalks celery, sliced;
- 2 medium carrots, chopped;
- 15 ml. garlic, minced;
- 1183 ml chicken or vegetable stock;
- 237 ml coconut milk;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place all the ingredients except for the coconut milk in a slow cooker.
- Season everything to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 6h or on high for 4 h.
- Puree everything until smooth using a blender or an immersion blender.
- Add the coconut milk, give everything a good stir, and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve warm.
Slow Cooker Paleo Chilli from http://blog.emeals.com
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 11/2 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14.5-oz) cans di2ced tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon pepper
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, onion and garlic; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble.
- Transfer meat and onion mixture to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add tomatoes, bell pepper, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on LOW 6 hours.
- 8 tomatoes, boiled, skinned and chopped (see notes)
- 2 red bell peppers (chopped)
- 2 yellow bell peppers (chopped)
- 2 green bell peppers (chopped)
- 2 small zucchini (chopped)
- 1 yellow squash (chopped)
- 1 eggplant (peeled and cubed)
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 T fresh basil chopped
- 2 T fresh parsley
- sea salt to taste
- Throw everything in a slow cooker and cook for at least 6 hours. Cook on high for the first hour and then turn down to low for the remaining hours. Feel free to cook it longer than 6 hours if you like.
If you try any of these recipes or any recipes at all during this challenge please post it - we know how much people love taking and posting images of their food ;) tag us @capecrossfit and #CCFwholelifechallenge
This is a post based on an email sent out to all the participants in our CCF Eat Healthy challenge that is running for 8 weeks. Participants in the challenge gets the email on Sunday nights, then we post it on a Wednesday night for the rest of the world to see.
CCF Nutritional Advisor